Orion Township Safe Routes to School Project
The Charter Township of Orion, in conjunction with the Lake Orion Community Schools and the Road Commission for Oakland County had applied for the Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Grant Program for eight (8) elementary and middle schools campuses within Orion Township. The grant application was approved and OHM Advisors, our engineering consultant, completed design for the infrastructure portion of the project. This project is out to bid and once a contractor is selected, the project will begin construction Spring 2021.
The Township is able to install these new pedestrian facilities at no cost to the individual property owner to provide pedestrian facilities that will promote a safer walking environment for children and as well as the community. You can view an interactive map of the projects, and below are the proposed improvements, listed per school campus.
- Install a 6 ft wide sidewalk along Joslyn Road (on the east side) from Silverbell Road, north to Flintridge Street.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway along Joslyn Road filling the pathway gap between Mapleview Drive and the Polly Ann Trail.
- Install a 5 ft wide sidewalk along Flintridge Street from Gainesborough Drive to Joslyn Road.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway for from the northeast corner of the Orion Center property, north to the south side of Orion Oaks School Buildings existing pathway.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway along the north side of the roadway from the east side of Paint Creek School property, toward the east and ending at Creekwood Drive.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway on school property that connects roadside infrastructure to internal campus infrastructure.
- Install 10 ft wide elevated pedestrian facility from the southeast quadrant of Lapeer Road (existing pathway facilities at starting point) and Greenshield Road, to the east, then crossing north over Greenshield Road (non-elevated street crossing) to the existing pathway in front of Gs Pizza.
- Install 5 ft wide sidewalk on each side of Huntington Road from the existing pathway on the south side of Scripps Road, continuing south/west to the intersection of Huntington Drive and Round Tree Drive, then continuing to the ending point of Round Tree Drive and Huntington Drive.
- Construct 10 ft wide pathway from the intersection of Scripps Road/Bald Mountain Trail, and Starlight Trail, to connect two existing pathways on the edge of school property with ADA Ramp upgrade as well.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway on the south side of Scripps Road, connecting an existing pathway and running north to connect to existing Stadium Elementary school pathway.
- Upgrade to Rapid Rectangular Flashing Beacon (RRFB) style pedestrian crossing at Scripps and Huntington Drive.
- Install a 5 ft wide sidewalk to fill the current gap within the pedestrian facilities along Waldon Road in front of the Stoney Ridge Drive homes.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway along Waldon Road, the pathway will be located on west side of the existing parking lot, connecting to the existing pedestrian facilities that are roadside to the existing facilities at the school entrances.
- Upgrade existing pedestrian crossing to RRFB style crossing, west of Aldrin Drive.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway on east side of the school’s driveway, connecting existing pedestrian facilities along Clarkston Road then running south to connect to an existing school path at Webber Elementary.
- Install an RRFB crossing system for Blanche Sims Elementary at the intersection of Flint and Florence Street.
The Township will have a contractor remove all of the trees this year to comply with these federal constraints. The Township offers a replacement tree for every tree removed from your property. All residents that require a tree removal will be contacted directly with a mailing.
Please be assured that we are working hard to minimize construction impacts on residents and businesses, and that we are happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. All pedestrian facilities will be constructed similar to other areas within the Township that have sidewalks/pathways.
We will be having a webinar style meeting with a questions and answers section for viewers. This meeting information will be available soon.
Please continue to check the Township website for all updates related to this project.